You will find here

Short independent reviews of both blockbusters and overlooked small movie masterpieces.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Posted by pantherion Labels: , , ,

Masterpiece time! Or is it? Recently I have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, God knows which time. I have always adored it, but since I started writing this blog I guess I became a bit more critical regarding films, then I used to be. I realise this movie is considered as one of the best ever, but there are some bits that don't quite appeal to me. But first things first: the positives. 2001... aged extremely well. Most of the time you watch it in an awe, since the special effects are really impressive and the whole thing still looks futuristic. The story is engaging as well, the middle part of the film is science-fiction thriller at it's very best. But there are two issues. First is the longevity of some shots. Sometimes the viewer feels like shouting to Mr. Kubrick: get on with it! The other thing is the highly confusing ending. Unlike in case of Watchmen, I'm really happy I had read the book, the film is based on - otherwise I wouldn't have had a slightest idea of what is going on during the last chapter of the movie. Of course, after all that, is still is a bloody good  film, and if you haven't seen it yet, don't waste any more time. It is not flawless but it is a must-see.
8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment