You will find here

Short independent reviews of both blockbusters and overlooked small movie masterpieces.

The Squid and the Whale

Posted by pantherion Labels: , , ,

Not very often I watch a movie I haven't heard anything about. Well, I simply do not like to take a risk. Yesterday I did - honestly, I wasn't familiar with the fact of existence of The Squid and the Whale - and I wasn't disappointed at all. It is a small, independent film, sometimes funny, but dealing with serious issues. Thanks to  great writing and impeccable performances from the likes of Jeff Daniels and Jesse Eisenberg it never loses the balance and is really entertaining. The film's biggest drawback is its length - it lasts for mere 75min. Since we are used to movies that usually are twice longer, the moment we get attached to the characters and become really interested in how their problems are going to be solved, it ends. Still, when The Squid... lasts it is a worthwhile experience, one more reason for it being it features Pink Floyd's song Hey You in a pivotal role.
8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment